Archdiocese of Chicago

Catholic Chicago Blog

Hosted by the Archdiocese of Chicago

About the Blogger

Darius Villalobos is the Director for the Young Adult Ministry Office (YAM) for the Archdiocese of Chicago. He is a young adult and has over a decade of experience working with youth and young adults as a catechist, youth minister, and retreat director.

Monday, June 27, 2011

KAIROS Retreats Helping Teenagers Grow in the Faith

With the Year of Teens and Young Adults starting this month, it helps to think about our own faith when we were teenagers.  When I was a teenager, I was pretty confident I knew everything I needed to know about God and my faith. Having grown up Catholic and being a part of a faithful family, this was an easy assumption for me to have. That was until I went on a KAIROS retreat.

My KAIROS experience challenged me to see my faith in a new way, in which I had to choose how I would live this faith. This retreat experience is what prompted me to get involved in my parish youth ministry at the ripe old age of seventeen years old. Seeing where I am now, the rest, as they say, is history.

Many of the Catholic High Schools in the Archdiocese have adopted KAIROS retreats as part of their Campus Ministry opportunities. However, in recent years, more Parish Youth Ministry Programs have adopted KAIROS retreats as opportunities to have their teenagers from public schools participate in this great experience as well as bring them closer together in community.

I have had the privilege to work with two KAIROS retreats whose ministries are a little different. The North Side KAIROS retreat was the one I went on as a teenager and is still going strong, entering its twelfth year. This KAIROS retreat was started by a group of youth ministers from different parishes in Vicariate II. They wanted to make sure their teenagers, who were mostly from public schools, would have an opportunity to have this retreat experience. However, they never limited the retreat to just their own parishes. The retreat has always been open to youth from all walks of life, no matter where they were from or what faith tradition they claimed. Because of that openness, North Side KAIROS has had teenagers from as far north as Antioch, IL and as far south as 95th Street and from all the major faith traditions.

When I was a parish youth minister, I recognized how important this retreat  was to me, so I worked with youth ministers from nearby parishes to create one for the community where I grew up and had been ministering. This became the Vicariate III KAIROS retreat. Adopting a similar model to the NS KAIROS, we built a retreat opportunity for many of the teenagers in our parishes who would normally not have access to this experience. The team does a lot of fundraising to make the retreat affordable and they never turn anyone down because of finances. This is a life giving ministry to all those involved and it helps teenagers discover the importance of their faith.

If you would like to support these Kairos retreats or have a teenager who would like to participate, please contact me and I will connect you to the retreat coordinators.

Email Print RSS

Comments

Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:26 AM

Great to hear about how people are spiritually revived and flourishing in this part of the world. In my country, life of a Catholic is dry with God nowhere around despite desperate invoking through formalized prayers. I pray that someone will start to come to show us the path to personal relationship with the Lord.

Kee Shein M.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:26 AM

KAIROS has an impact on every student that participates! As a high school Theology teacher and Kairos leader I think that is my favorite part about it. Everyone is challenged to think about their relationship with God, but it is done in a way that makes the students feel safe and is a different way to "meet" God outside the classroom.

Kellina B.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:50 PM

I attended my first Kairos as an adult and must say that a Kairos retreat does help you recognize God the joys of knowing God even in crisis. I long to open Kairos retreats to early young adults who did not have the opportunity to attend a Kairos in their teens. Stay tuned for that happening soon.

timone d.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:37 PM

Working in youth minisrty with teens from several different parishes, I was able to see the impact of the Kairos retreats on the lives of the young people who participated. Experiences like these are wonderful, formative experiences for our youth.

Cathy W.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:02 PM

As a part of the adult team for Northside Kairos. It was a wonderful experience to watch teens grow into Christian leaders and they are truly the driving force behind making the retreat happen.

Kristen M.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:23 PM

As a mother of 2 children who have attended the Kairos retreats I can with all sincerty say that it is a life changing event. If you as a parent have found it more difficult to guide your teen or draw your teen closer to our faith Kairos is the key that opened the door so that my children could find their own way. Kairos became something that they could own and because of it my children continue to be part of our parish and have found their own way to our faith.

Rosie V.

Submit Your Comment

Archdiocese of Chicago
Disclaimer

The Archdiocese of Chicago welcomes input in response to the current blog posting.  However, the Archdiocese reserves the right to deny posting any information on the Archdiocesan blog that does not adhere to the teachings of the Catholic Church.  Insults, use of ethnic slurs or personal insults, obscenities or any conduct that would not be acceptable to the Archdiocese of Chicago or the Catholic Church in general will not be accepted.

Minors should seek parental permission before submitting a post.

All posts submitted by bloggers will be reviewed and approved by the Communications Department before going live on the website.

Personally identifiable information (first name, last name and e-mail address) will not be sold or otherwise transferred to unaffiliated third parties.

In order to submit a comment, all fields are required.  Only submitter’s first name will be displayed with the comment. You agree that you are responsible for any postings you make, and for any consequences thereof.  You agree that all postings will be in compliance with all applicable local, state, national and international laws, rules and regulations.  The Archdiocese takes no responsibility for third-party content nor does it have any obligation to monitor such third-party content.  By submitting or posting content (“Content”) you grant the Archdiocese a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to reproduce, publish and distribute such Content.  You represent and warrant that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the rights granted herein to any Content.

First Name: