FOURTEEN MEN TO BE ORDAINED AS DEACONS
Chicago, IL (May 8, 2013) – Francis Cardinal George, OMI, Archbishop of Chicago, will ordain fourteen men as permanent deacons at 2:15 p.m., on Sunday, May 19, at Holy Name Cathedral, State and Superior Streets in Chicago.
The newly ordained deacons completed a comprehensive four-year program through the Institute for Diacnonal Studies at the University of Saint Mary of the Lake / Mundelein Seminary that includes the human, spiritual, intellectual and pastoral dimensions of formation, field education experiences in service to charity and evangelization, and a year-long parish pastoral ministry internship. Typically, newly-ordained deacons are assigned to their home parishes, which this year include parishes in: Chicago, Arlington Heights, Berwyn, Des Plaines, Elk Grove Village, Northlake, Palatine, Park Ridge, Streamwood, Wadsworth and Westchester.
More than 98 percent of deacons are married with families and most are also engaged in outside occupations. They are clergy, along with priests and bishops. The ministries that Deacons perform include the teaching mission of the Church, caring for the poor, performing baptisms and marriages, conducting funeral liturgies, presiding at wake services and assisting the priest at Mass by proclaiming the Gospel, preaching, leading intercessions, preparing the altar and intoning the dismissal.
NEW DEACONS AND THEIR HOME PARISHES
James R. Bannon, St. James Parish, 831 North Arlington Heights Road, Arlington Heights.
Michael S. Benoit, St. John the Evangelist, 502 South Park Boulevard, Streamwood.
Todd M. Benzschawel and Joseph P. Casey, St. Patrick Parish, 15000 Wadsworth Road, Wadsworth.
Andrew P. Cameron, St. Paul of the Cross Parish, 320 South Washington Street, Park Ridge.
Adam H. Danielewicz, St. Daniel the Prophet Parish, 6612 West 54th Street, Chicago.
Hans P. Goeckner, St. Mary of Celle Parish, 1428 Wesley Avenue, Berwyn.
Thomas G. Imbordino, St. John Vianney Parish, 46 North Wolf Road, Northlake.
James E. Norman, Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica, 3111 West Jackson Blvd., Chicago.
James J. O'Leary, St. Mary Parish, 794 Pearson Street, Des Plaines.
Lawrence E. Segers, Notre Dame de Chicago Parish, 1334 West Flournoy Street, Chicago.
James R. Sponder, Divine Infant Jesus Parish, 1601 Newcastle Avenue, Westchester.
Jerrold S. Szostak, Queen of the Rosary Parish, 750 West Elk Grove Boulevard, Elk Grove Village.
Gregory L. Vogt, St. Theresa Parish, 455 North Benton, Palatine.
More information about the Archdiocese of Chicago’s Institute for Diaconal Studies can be found at the website for the University of Saint Mary of the Lake / Mundelein Seminary, www.usml.edu.