Cardinal Blase J. Cupich to Celebrate Holy Week and Easter Sunday Online Liturgies
Chicago, Ill. (April 9, 2020) – Cardinal Blase J. Cupich, archbishop of Chicago, will preside over the Archdiocese of Chicago’s online liturgies for Holy Week and Easter Sunday from Holy Name Cathedral. Fr. Ismael Sandoval and Fr. Marek Smolka will preside over the Spanish and Polish language Easter Sunday online Masses, respectively.
Holy Week is the last week of Lent, immediately preceding Easter Sunday. It is observed by Catholics as a time to commemorate the suffering, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Various special liturgies are celebrated during the Paschal Triduum, the three days before Easter.
On the evening of Holy Thursday, April 9, the Catholic Church celebrates the Mass of The Lord's Supper. Good Friday, April 10, marks the day Catholics remember Christ’s suffering and death. Holy Saturday marks an evening of liturgical celebrations that include a solemn blessing of the Easter water with the chanting of the Litany of Saints, the blessing and lighting of the Easter Candle from within a darkened church and the celebration in the late evening hours of the Easter Vigil Mass. Easter Sunday marks the closing of Holy Week.
The full schedule of Holy Week and Easter Sunday online Masses is available below:
Holy Week and Easter Sunday Liturgy Schedule (View Online)
- Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord’s Supper will be available online Thursday, April 9 at 5 p.m.
- Good Friday Liturgy of the Lord’s Passion will be available online Friday, April 10 at 3 p.m.
- Holy Saturday Easter Vigil will be available online Saturday, April 11 at 8 p.m.
- Sunday Easter Mass (English, Spanish, Polish) will be available online Sunday, April 12 at 6 a.m.
*All these liturgies can be viewed online any time after their original online broadcast.
Easter Sunday Liturgy Television Broadcast Schedule for Sunday, April 12
- ABC-TV (WLS-Channel 7) will televise Easter Mass in English at noon.
- Univision Chicago (WBGO 66) will televise Easter Mass in Spanish at 10 a.m.
- Polvision (Polvision 24.4 and Comcast 397) will televise Easter Mass in Polish at 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Easter Radio Broadcast Schedule for Saturday, April 11 and Sunday, April 12
- WGN-(720 AM) will broadcast the Holy Saturday Easter Vigil from Holy Name Cathedral on Saturday, April 11 at 10 p.m.
- WGN-(720 AM) will broadcast Easter Sunday Mass with Cardinal Blase Cupich on Sunday, April 12 at 9 a.m.
- Univision Radio (1200 AM) will simulcast Easter Sunday Mass at 10 a.m.
All Masses are also available at YouTube.com/catholicchicago and on the Archdiocese of Chicago Facebook page.
The Archdiocese of Chicago will continue to offer online Sunday Masses from Holy Name Cathedral and online weekday Masses from St. James Chapel. TheseMasses are also available at YouTube.com/catholicchicago and on the Archdiocese of Chicago Facebook page.For more information, please visit archchicago.org/coronavirus.