Comments of Cardinal Blase J. Cupich, Archbishop of Chicago, on the Proposals to be Considered at the USCCB Meeting
Today the president of our conference, Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, informed the body of bishops that the Holy See has decided that, while we should proceed with discussing our proposals related to child protection, we should postpone our final vote on them until after the February meeting of episcopal conferences in Rome, so that our decisions can be informed by listening to our brother bishops from around the world.
In response, I urged that the body of bishops take up the discussion as scheduled, fine tune the documents, and then take a resolution ballot to make clear to our people where we stand, but also to give the president of our conference a clear indication of the mind of the bishops in the United States as he prepares to participate in the February meeting.
I also noted that it is clear that the Holy See recognizes the urgency of this issue, and is placing great importance on the February meeting, understanding that the present crisis is not limited to one or a few countries, but that it is a watershed moment for the universal Church.
Finally, I urged that we should meet again in March to take up our proposals, informed by the input of other bishops’ conferences and the results of the February meeting, and then take a final vote as an action item. I realize that another meeting will create logistical challenges for the conference staff and the bishops’ schedules, but there is a grave urgency to this matter and we cannot delay.
For a Spanish version of the statement, please click here.