Twenty-seven Permanent Catholic Deacons will be Ordained on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020 at St. Rita of Cascia Shrine Chapel in Chicago
Lea la versión en español aquí.
Chicago - (Sept. 22, 2020) – Twenty-seven permanent Catholic deacons will be ordained at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Masses on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020 at St. Rita of Cascia Shrine Chapel, 7740 S. Western Ave., Chicago. Cardinal Blase J. Cupich, archbishop of Chicago, will be the main celebrant at the 9 a.m. ordination. Bishop Robert Casey, vicar general of the Archdiocese of Chicago, will preside over the 1 p.m. Mass. The newly ordained deacons will be assigned to parishes in: Chicago, Chicago Heights, Grayslake, Gurnee, Lake Zurich, Lemont, Melrose Park, Orland Park, Palatine, Park Ridge, Prospect Heights, Riverside, Tinley Park, Waukegan and Wilmette. Two permanent deacons were ordained in August.
“Deacons symbolize Christ the servant in their vocations by offering works of mercy and support to their communities especially for those who are poor, living on the margins, forgotten and neglected,” said Cardinal Cupich. “These men, greatly assisted in their ministry by their wives, come from diverse backgrounds with unique skills that are gifts to the Church. I pray these deacons will be bold in their faith and serve humbly.”
The newly ordained deacons will assist the bishop and his priests in ministries of the Word, Liturgy and Charity. This includes proclaiming the Gospel, leading intercessions, preaching, preparing the altar, celebrating baptisms, leading the faithful in prayer, distributing holy communion, witnessing marriages and conducting wake and funeral services. Deacons also identify the needs of poor and underserved, and shepherd the Church's resources to meet those needs.
Diaconate formation for permanent deacons requires completion of a comprehensive, four-year program through the Institute for Diaconal Studies or the Instituto de Liderazgo Pastoral, for Spanish speakers, both located at the University of Saint Mary of the Lake in Mundelein. The programs include human, spiritual, intellectual and pastoral dimensions of formation and a year-long parish pastoral ministry internship. The program is mandated by both the Vatican and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
Please see below for the list of this year’s candidates for the diaconate
Permanent deacons, their wives, if married, and home parishes
- Deacon Carlos Alvarado - St. Turibius, Chicago
- Deacon John and Kathy Benz - St. Julie Billiart, Tinley Park
- Deacon Brent and Kathryn Bertke - St. Paul the Apostle, Gurnee
* Bertke was ordained on Aug. 12 at the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary.
- Deacon Peter and Michelle Brown - St. Mary, Riverside
- Deacon Timothy Callahan - Sts. Alphonsus and Patrick, Lemont
- Deacon Angelo Jr. and Marisa Cordoba - St. Mary, Star of the Sea, Chicago
- Deacon Thomas and Marie Dombai - St. Juliana, Chicago
- Deacon Brian and Angela Fisher - St. Gilbert, Grayslake
- Deacon Michael and Eileen Foggie - Holy Angels, Chicago
- Deacon José and Maria González - Holy Cross Immaculate Heart of Mary, Chicago
- Deacon Martín and María Horta - St. Paul, Chicago Heights
- Deacon Tomas Mackevicius and Asta Mackeviciene - St. John Cantius, Chicago
- Deacon Miguel Ángel Martínez and Carolina Edith López - St. Clare of Montefalco, Chicago
- Deacon Salvador and María Martínez - Holy Trinity, Waukegan
- Deacon James and Jonalee Maslanka - Sts. Peter and Paul, Chicago
- Deacon Frank and Wendy Mattison - St. Alphonsus Liguori, Prospect Heights
- Deacon Timothy and Linda McCormick - St. Francis of Assisi, Orland Park
- Deacon Gabriel Nevárez - Sacred Heart, Melrose Park
- Deacon Michael O’Neill and Dianne McLaughlin - Sts. Alphonsus and Patrick, Lemont
- Deacon Allan and Avelina Origenes - Our Lady of Mercy, Chicago
- Deacon Christopher and Eileen Parker - St. Barnabas, Chicago
- Deacon Thomas and Jocelyn Purtell - St. Francis de Sales, Lake Zurich
* Purtell was ordained on Aug. 30 at the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary.
- Deacon José Carlos Quiroz and Débora Ramos - Misión San Juan Diego, Palatine
- Deacon Charles and Sarah Robey - Sts. Joseph and Francis Xavier, Wilmette
- Deacon Sergio E. and Edith Robles - St. Nicholas of Tolentine, Chicago
- Deacon Edward Sajdak - St. Bruno, Chicago
- Deacon Edward and Mary Schipp - Mary, Seat of Wisdom, Park Ridge
- Deacon Andrew and Laura Sorce - Our Lady of the Holy Family, Chicago
- Deacon Miguel Ángel Vega and María Eugenia López - Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Des Plaines
The Archdiocese of Chicago has the largest Catholic diaconate in the world with 506 active deacons involved in 215 parishes and agencies. Since 1972, the Archdiocese of Chicago has ordained 1,394 men as permanent deacons. Active, retired and inactive deacons total 778, which includes 73 deacons active in dioceses around the country – from Florida to Arizona – who remain incardinated in Chicago.